Nadan mathi curry/Kerala sardines curry
It is a traditional and simple kerala style recipe.It is one of the cheapest fish available in kerala but are rich in vitamine D, and proteins.It is a good source of Omega 3 fatty acid which lowers bad cholestrol LDL.
- Sardine/mathi:1/2 kg
- Fish tamarind/kudampuli:4(medium sized)
- Green chilly:2
- Chilly powder:2 tspn(or depends on your tolerable level)
- Turmeric powder:1/4tspn
- Coriander powder:1/2tspn
- Fenugreek powder/Uluva podi:A pinch
- Curry leaves
- Coconut oil
- Clean the fish pieces.
- Wash and soak fish tamarind in water and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a clay pot(man chatty)and add mustard seeds when it splutters add fenugreek seeds.
- Wait for few seconds and add crushed ginger garlic and shallots. Wait for few minutes and add curry leaves and green chillies.Saute it well.
- Add chilly powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and fenugreek powder.
- Add fish tamarind without water and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add one cup of water to the clay pot and allow to boil.
- Now add salt and fish pieces.
- Close the pot with a lid and keep it in low flame.
- If you need more gravy you can adjust it with adding more water.
- Fish curry is ready .