No Kerala Sadya(feast)is complete without olan in menu.It is a less spicy dish and it was my most favourite dish during my child hood.Now My 2 years old Kannan is a big fan of olan.This dish is flavoured with coconut milk curry leaves and coconut oil.(Excuse me those who doesnt like coconut oil...without coconut oil I cant imagine an olan recipe).My Amma(mom) used to prepare this dish with potato and colocasia too.
- Ash gourd:/kumbalanga:(sliced in to broad pieces):1 cup
- Cow pea/vanpayar:1/4 cup
- Green chilly:2
- Thick coconut milk:1/2 cup
- Thin coconut milk:1/2 cup
- Curry leaves:2 springs
- Coconut oil:1 tblspn
- Wash the cowpeas and soak it in water over night.
- Cook the cow peas with enouh water,either in cooker or in a pan.Dont over cook.
- Once the beans are half cooked add Ash gourd pieces,green chillies and salt.
- Add thin coconut milk too.
- Keep it in low flame.
- Once vegetables are cooked well add thick coconut milk.And stir it slowly .
- Add coconut milk and curry leaves.