Vanpayar thoran/Cowpea stir fry
I Prepared this dish for the event conducted by Preetha Soumyan (dish-it-out-light-dinners in her blog abowlofcurry)The idea of monthly event is from Vardhini of cooksjoy.Sending this to walk through memory event also
Cowpeas are my favourite item even it is a curry ,stir fry or fry I finish it off within seconds!Amma used to prepare it for dinner.I'm sharing her recipe here.Cowpeas are good source of protein.It is a low fat low calorie item so highly recommended for weight loss diet as well as for diabetic patients.Cowpea stirfry with hot rice porridge is an amazing combination for dinner.Tasty, light and healthy combo!
- Cowpeas/Vanpayar:1 cup
- Garlic pods:3
- Green chilly:1
- Grated coconut:1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder:1/4 tspn
- Chilly powder:1/2 tspn
- Salt:As required
- Water:As required
- Mustard seeds:1/4 tspn
- Dry red chilly:2
- Curry leaves:1 spring
- Oil:2 tspn
- Wash and soak cowpeas for 2 to 3 hours.
- Pressure cook it for one whistle with salt.Let the steam subside.Open the lid and cook till the water get dried.
- Crush the grated coconut with garlic,shallots and green chilly.
- Heat the pan with oil.Add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add dry red chilly and curry leaves.
- Add crushed coconut mixture and stir it well.
- Add chilly powder and turmeric powder
- Add cooked cowpeas and mix it well.
- Keep it in low flame for few more minutes.
- Serve hot with rice porridge.