It is a simple and easy breakfast recipe.In vermicelli pulao I used to add loads of vegetables.But in upma I don't like to add vegies.I love to take this upma with sugar.But I think many others prefer coconut chutney .If you are using wheat vermicelli ,add loads of chopped dry fruits,grated coconut and ghee ,serve it to your super active little ones.It will be healthy.
- Vermicelli:400 gm
- Grated coconut:2 fist ful(optional)
- Ginger(chopped):1/2 tspn
- Cashew nuts(chopped):1 tspn(optional)
- Kismis:1 tspn(optional)
- Ghee:1 tspn
- Curry leaves
- Mustard seeds:1/2 tspn
- Black gram/urad dal:1/2 tspn
- Dry red chilly:1
- Heat a pan with little oil and roast the vermicelli .(If you are using roasted one skip this step).
- Boil water in a pan and cook the vermicelli with salt and 1 teaspoon of oil for few minutes.Dont over cook.
- Drain the excess water and keep aside.
- Heat a pan with ghee and oil.
- Add mustard and urad dal.
- Add dry red chilly and curry leaves.
- Add ginger,onion,cashew nuts,kismis,cardamom and green chillies.Stir it well.
- Add cooked vermicelli and blend it with other ingredients.Already we added salt but if you need add salt according to your taste.
- Garnish with gratd coconut.
PS:After tempering you can add vermicelli to the pan. Fry it and then add enough water.(better to sprinkle water otherwise there may be a chance of over cooking)