Varutharacha kozhi curry/Chicken in roasted coconut gravy
It is traditional Kerala chicken curry with roasted coconut gravy.It will be good with kerala porotta chapathi and with rice.
- Chicken :1/2 kg
- Garlic:5 cloves
- Turmeric powder:1/4 tspn
- Curry leaves
To roast and grind:
- Grated coconut:1/2 cup
- Coriander powder:2 tspn
- Chilly powder:2 tsp
- Dry red chilly:3
- Fennel/perumjeerakam:1/2 tspn
- Cinnamon/patta:1 stick
- Star anise/thakkolam:2
- Whole pepper corn:1/2 tspn
- Heat a pan with little oil.Add all the ingredients under "to roast and grind" except chilly powder and coriander powder.
- Stir it continuosly until the coconut turns light brown in colour.(should be careful.. colour change in the last few minutes will be very fast..)
- Now add coriander powder and stir it well.
- Add chilly powder and stir it well
- Switch of the flame and let it cool.
- Grind the roasted ingredients with little water.Keep it aside.
- Heat a pan with oil
- Add sliced onion and saute well till it turn golden brown colour.
- Add tomato and curry leaves.Saute it well.
- Grind ginger and garlic together and add it to the cooked tomato onion mixture.Saute it well till it leaves the raw smell.
- Add salt, and turmeric powder.
- Add cleaned chicken pieces to it and mix it well.
- Add ground paste to it.
- Adjust the consistency by adding enough water.
- Close the pan with lid and cook it in low flame.