Kootu curry/Mixed vegetables and chickpeas in coconut gravy
Vishu is coming.. so i'm in a hurry to post Kerala sadya recipes:) Kootu curry is the mixed vegetable curry with a nice aroma and flavour.
- Pumpkin / mathanga (cubed) : 1 cup
- Raw plantain / pachakka (cubed) : 1/2 cup
- Yam / chena (cubed) : 1 cup
- Black chick pea / kadala : 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder : 1/4 tspn
- Red chilly powder:2 tspn
- Jaggery/sharkkara : 2 tblspn
- Grated coconut : 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds / jeerakam : 1/2 tspn
- Mustard / kaduku : 1/2 tspn
- Dry red chilly : 2
- Grated coconut : 2 tblspn
- Curry leaves : 2 spring
- Soak black chick peas over night and pressure cook it with salt
- Cook all other vegetables till it become soft and almost fully cooked.Gravy should be thick,
- Mean while grind coocnut with cumin seeds in to a fine paste.Keep aside.
- Now add turmeric powder chilly powder salt and jaggery to the cooked vegetables.
- Mix it well and check for salt.
- Now add cooked chickpeas and mix it well with other vegetables.
- Add ground coconut paste.Mix it well.
- Now add cooked chick peas and mix it well.
- Now heat a pan with oil
- Add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add dry red chilly curry leaves and grated coconut.
- Fry it till it turn slight brown colour.
- Add it to the kootu curry and mix well.
- Kootu curry is ready to serve.