During Onam time my hubby got severe fever.So he was not able to eat anything and tired with antibiotics.I prepared podiyari kanji (broken rice porridge) with thenga chammanthi (coconut dry chutney )for him.First 2 days he adjusted with my menu and the third day he rejected the podiyari kanji and declared that he is okey :)) So I converted it in to payasam!!!!!!
It was a super hit in my family and last sunday I prepared it again and gave to my neighbours too.When I got compliments from them I decided to post the same...
- Broken matta rice / podiyari : 1/2 cup
- Milk : 6 cups
- Sugar : 1/2 to 3/4 cup
- Water : 3-3.5 cups
- Ghee : 2 tblspn
- Broken cashews (fried in ghee) : 2 tablspn
- Cardamom (crushed ) : 3
- Cook broken rice with 3.5 cups of water ( I used pressure cooker)
- Cook it in low flame for 2 whistle.
- Once the pressure subsides open the cooker and transfer the cooked rice in to a vessel.
- Add 6 cups of water
- Keep the stove in simmer and cook the rice with milk
- Stir it occassionally.
- Now add sugar and mix it well.
- You should cook the payasam until the milk reduces to almost half and turns creamy
- Now add fried cashews and crushed cardamom
- Switch off the flame and serve it hot or chilled!
- You can use either pressure cooker or pan for preparing payasam
- I love to save the time and gas.So I prefer cooker
- You can cook broken rice with milk.(It is more tasty).If so use 5 litre pressure cooker.
- I used my left over kanji so I cooked it in water.
- I used Double Horse broken matta rice