I have tasted this curry at my friends home,together with vegetable birinji . Since then I had been searching this recipe.Tried many versions but I was not satisfied with the result.FinallyI got the recipe from her grandma :)
- Brinjal : 5 to 7
- Tamarind : A small lemon sized
- Sambar powder : 2 tspn
- Turmeric powder : 1/4 tspn
For spice powder :
- Coriander seeds : 1/2 tblspn
- Chana dal : 1/2 tblspn
- Toor dal : 1/2 tspn
- Dry red chilly : 4
- Sesame seeds : 1/2 tblspn
- Coconut : 1 tblspn
To temper :
- Mustard seeds : 1/2 tspn
- Shallots : 8 to 10
- Garlic : 5 cloves
- Asafoetida : A pinch
- Curry leaves : few
- Sesame oil
- Dry roast all the ingredients listed under"for spice powder".
- Grind it in to a coarse powder . Keep it aside
- Now wash and clean the brinjals and make plus marks on it.
- Now fill the spice powder in it.Do this for all the brinjals and reserve the extra spice owder for the gravy.
- Heat a pan with sesame oil
- Add mustard and let it splutter
- Now add small onion curry leaves and garlic cloves.Saute it well
- Now add stuffed brinjals and saute it well till it shrinks.
- Now add tamarind extract (mix it with water and ad) and required amount of water.
- Add salt and let it boil.
- Now add reserved spice powder,turmeric powder and sambar powder
- Check for salt and cook it in medium flame until the gravy reaches the right consisitency
- Try to use sesame oil. It will give you the authentic taste.
- Loose your grip on oil bottle while preparing this kulambu.
sending this to beulahs event