Yipeee....Finally I got the recipe...After conducting several experiments.... I got it!!!!!!!!!I asked recipe to many persons..googled,searched a lot of cook books...but I was not satisfied with the result.Finally I took recipe from here and made little variation.Anyway result was awsome and when I served this sambar to my neighbour she asked me why you bought it from hotel?????????????
- Toor dal / thuvaram paruppu : 1/2 cup
- Tomato (chopped ) : 1 big
- Onion (chopped ) : 1 big
- Turmeric powder : 1/4 tspn
- Tamarind : Small gooseberry size(optional)
To roast and grind :
- Coriander seeds : 1 tblspn
- Roasted gram dal / Pottukadalai : 1 tblspn
- Grated coconut : 2 to 3 tblspn
- Chilly powder : 2 tspn
- Oil : 1 tspn
To temper :
- Mustard seeds : 1/2 tspn
- Fenugreek seeds / uluva /venthayam : 1/4 tspn
- Black gram /Ulutham paruppu / uzhunnu : 1/2 tspn
- Cumin seeds / jeera : 1/4 tspn
- Curry leaves
To garnish :
- Coriander leaves : 1/4 cup
- Asafoetida / kayam /Perunkayam : A pinch
- Wash the thoor dal and pressure cook it with chopped tomato ,onion ,salt,turmeric powder and enough water.
- Mash it well and keep aside
- Now heat a pan with oil and add coriander seeds and pottukadalai .
- Roast it for 3 minutes and Switch off the flame.
- Now add grated coconut and chilly powder and mix it well
- Grind it in to a smooth paste and mix it with the cooked toor dal.
- Add tamarind extract too.(mix tamarind with water )
- Let it boil.
- Now heat a pan with oil and add mustard seeds,fenugreek seeds blackgram cumin seeds and curry leaves in the same oreder.
- Pour it in to the sambar and mix well
- Now add chopped coriander leaves and asafoetida.
- Yummy sambar is ready
- You can avoid roasting step.Grind all the ingredients without roasting.
- Use of shallots/sambar vengayam/kochulli will enhances the taste