Puttu is the iconic breakfast of Kerala.And offcourse we can say that it is a comfort food of Keralites.Puttu with payar (greengram stir fry) ,pappad, banana, Payar puzhungiyathu(boiled green gram) and kadala curry (chickpeas curry) are superb combinations!
For preparing rice puttu we need coarsely ground rice flour(puttu podi),Grated coconut salt and little water.But this time I'm sharing a tip for preparing soft puttu.Yea I have already mentioned it in cooking tips section.Mixing of rice flour with cooked rice will give you soft puttu.(Thanks to Jyothi chechy who shared this tip with me :))You can finish your leftover rice also!
Hope you may check my wheat puttu recipe and ragi puttu
- Rice flour : 1 cup
- Cooked rice : 1/2 cup
- Grated coconut : 1/4 cup (As required)
- Add cooked rice ,rice flour and salt to the blender.
- Pulse it for few seconds.You will get smooth and soft puttu flour.
- Now take the puttu maker (either puttu kutty(pot) or chiratta puttu maker) Place the chillu(the round holed disc with puttumaker).Add some coocnut then fill it with puttu flour.Finally add 1 tspn of grated coconut.
- Place the puttu maker on pressure cooker (if you are using pot keep it directly on gas),Steam it for 3-5 minute in low flame
- Soft yummy puttu is ready to serve!!!!!!!
- While mixing puttu flour add grated coconut too It will enhances the taste.
- If you dont have cooked rice mix the rice flour with little water.And make puttu flour.Check my wheat puttu recipe for the details.
- After wetting puttu flour should be loose and sticky at the same time.