Now here tomato is very cheap in market.Last week my hubby bought it and I prepared thakkali thhokku and Tomato sauce
Tomato thokku is an easy to prepare recipe and we can preserve it for weeks.We can use it either as a chutney or as a pickle . It will go well with idly dosa curd rice and lemon rice.
- Tomato( chopped/sliced ) : 1 kg
- Chilly powder : 1 tblspn
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tspn
To temper :
- Mustard : 1/2 tspn
- Fenugreek seeds : 1/4 tspn
- Curry leaves : few
- Asafoetida : 1/2 tspn
- Sesame oil
- Heat a pan with oil. Add mustard and let it splutter.
- Now add fenugreek seeds curry leaves and asafoetida powder.
- Add sliced / chopped tomato,chilly powder,turmeric powder,and salt
- Mix it well and stir occasionally.If need add more oil.
- Saute it well until the oil stars to separate.
- Tomatoes were ripe and perfect so I didn't use tamarind or jaggery.If the tomatoes are tangy use 2 tspn of grated jaggery if it has sweetness add 1 tblspn of tamarind extract.
- Fenugreek powder was not in my hand so used whole fenugreek
- You may use tomato puree instead of chopped ones.But I never tried
sending this to delectable flavours