Sukhiyan is a traditional Kerala snack made up of green gram and jaggery.It is a highly nutritious tea time snack for kids because both green gram and jaggery are good for health.Green gram is rich in fiber and protein.Jaggery is rich in iron.Jaggery helps to build immunity too.
For filling :
- Green gram / cherupayar : 1 cup
- Grated jaggery / sarkkara : 1/2 to 3/4 cup
- Grated coconut : 3/4 cup
- Cardamom powder : 1/2 tspn
For batter :
- Maida : 1 cup
- Rice flour : 1 tblspn (optional)
- Turmeric : A pinch
- Soak green gram for 2 to 4 hours.Pressure cook it with salt and 2 cups of water for 3 whistle in medium flame.Drain it and keep aside
- Melt grated jaggery in 1/2 cup of water.Filter it to remove impurities.
- Heat a vesel and add melted jaggery water and let it boil.When it starts to thicken add grated coconut and cardamom powder.Mix it well
- Now add cooked green gram and mix it well
- Make a batter with maida turmeric powder and rice flour.The batter should not be loose.
- Heat a pan with oil.
- Make lemon sized balls of greengram and dip it in maida batter and place it in to the hot oil.
- Deep fry it till it turn crispy.
sending this recipe to delectable flavours