Finally it came...recipe for hyderabadi chicken biriyani!!!!!!!It was in my to do list for long time,a long awaited recipe...Here we use basmati rice and shah jeera and the half cooked rice and chicken masala will cook together in low flame. It will give a different aroma to the biriyani.
But in Thalassery biriyani we used to prepare rice and chicken masala seperately.
Other biriyani recipes :
- Chicken biriyani
- Chicken biriyani easy method
- Thalassery chicken biriyani
- Malabar prawn biriyani
- Egg dum biriyani
- Pressure cooker Chicken biriyani
serving size: 4-6
- Chicken : 1/2 kg
- Fried onion : 1.5 cups
- Chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves : fistfull
For marination :
- Curd : 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice : 1/2 tblspn
- Chilly powder : 1 tblspn
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tspn
- Garam masala powder : make powder of following spices
- Cloves : 4
- Cardamom : 2
- Shahjeera : 1/2 tspn
- Pepper : 1tspn
- Green paste : For that grind and make paste
- Ginger : 1.5 "
- Garlic : 15 cloves
- Mint leaves : 1/2 cup
- Coriander leaves : 1/2 cup
- green chilly : 2
- Star anise / thakkolam : 1
- Clove / grampoo : 2
- Cardamom / elakka : 3
- Shah jeera : 3/4 tspn
- Cinnamon / patta : 1 stick
- Marathi moggu : 1
- Oil / ghee
For rice :
- Basmati rice : 3 cups
- Cinnamon : 1stick
- Star anise : 1
- Cloves : 4
- Cardamom : 4
- Shahjeera : 1tspn
- Oil : 1tblspn
- Wash and clean the chicken pieces.
- Marinate it with the ingredients listed under "to marinate "
- Keep it in fridge for minimum for hours or the whole night for the better result.
- Wash and soak basmati rice for 30 minutes.Drain it and set aside.
- Take 6 cups of water (as required ) and let it boil.
- Add oil salt and all the spices.
- Now add washed and drained rice.
- Let it cook up to 70%.Don't allow the rice to cook completely.
- Take a vessel or pressure cooker and greese it with oil. Place the marinated chicken pices on it.
- Cook it for few minutes.
- Now Spread fried onion over it .
- Now add chopped mint and coriander leaves.
- Spread the half cooked rice on it.
- Close the vessel and keep it on a thawa.
- Cook it on low flame for 20-25 minutes.
- I used garam masala powder and whole spices.You may avoid whole spices and add the spices in rice while cooking.
- if you prefer you can layer both chicken and rice several times like usually we are doing for Kerala chicken dum biriyani
- I didn't use saffron milk .It was not in my hand.Add 1/2 tspn of saffron in 2 tblspoon of warm milk and sprinkle while layering the biriyani
- I used 4 onion for making 1.5 cup fried onion