Hi all.. it is long time... I was little bit busy with my studies and all.I cooked for blog and captured the pics but didnt get enough time to type and post.I came back with a delicious payasam recipe..
We, people of Travancore side don't like to see dal as such in payasam.So used to mash the cooked dal before adding coconut milk.But if you are going to Malabar side (northern part of Kerala), people prefer to see parippu in payasam as such.It is up to you only..Here in this recipe i have followed travancore style.(southern part of Kerala)
My mom used to prepare tasty pradhaman with moong dal..Both me and my dad helped her many times for taking coconut milk and frying coconut bits.We all really enjoyed ammas payasam with papadam.She used generous amount of thick coconut milk and ghee.And I believe that this tips made her payasam super tasty.Im also following the same recipe .This measurement is enough to serve 7,8 persons.
- Cherupayar parippu / Moong dal : 1 cup
- Jaggery (sarkkara / vellam ) grated : 2 cup
- Thick coconut milk / Onnam pal : 1 cup
- Thin coconut milk / randam pal : 1.5 cup
- Cardamom / Elakka : 3 -5
- Cumin seeds / jeerakam : 1/2 tspn
- Dry ginger powder / chukku podi : 1/2 tspn
- Coconut bits : 1/4 cup
- Cashew nuts : fistfull
- Ghee : 1/4 cup
- Dry roast moong dal for 5 to 6 minutes.Let it cool and wash.
- Now cook it in pan or pressure cooker by adding 3 to 3.5 cups of water.(If your dal is good in quality you may fry it in ghee and then cook .Skip the washing step)
- Meanwhile melt jaggery in 1 cup of water then filter it and let it boil.Once it starts boiling simmer the stove .
- Now add this jaggery syrup to cooked dal.Let it boil.
- Add thin coconut milk and allow to cook.
- Add thick coconut milk
- Grind cumin and cardamom together in a mixer.Add it to the payasam together with dry ginger powder.
- Fry both cashews and coconut bits in ghee.
- Mix it well and add fried coconut bits and cashews with ghee.
- Mix the payasam well.
- Yummy elicious rich moongdal kheer / cherupayar parippu payasam is ready to serve..Serve it hot or chilled!!!!!!!!