Tuesday 24 May 2016

Dates pickle



Dates pickle


Sorry friends I couldn't update for long time..I was busy with shifting and all..And the main thing is this is school vacation time.My Prince is here and not allowing me to do anything in computer :)


Benefits of dates are endless..It is well known for its power to cure anaemia as it is an excellent source of iron.At the same time it is a good energy booster and rich in minerals like calcium,copper and manganese.But I dont like dates!!!whenever im suffering from low Hb levels my hubby used to force me to eat it.But I cant consume more than 2,3 pieces.So I used to prepare dates syrup and mix it with my daily milk .But one my doctor friends scolded me for doing the same by saying the calcium content in the milk will inhibit the absorption of iron in the dates.Yes usually we wont take iron tablets with milk :P.If so use it as a brerad spread and eat!!

I have tasted dates pickle from a hotel for the first time.When I asked for recipe chef told me he used dates garlic and vinegar.And the tempering items too.I totally forgot that and after many years again I got the same from one of my friends wedding reception.Her bro told me that its common in all muslim weddings and later he mailed me the recipe :)

It is an  an easy and yummy pickle recipe.It will go well with biriyanis ,pulao and ghee rice.



Ingredients :

  • Dates : 12
  • Ginger chopped : 2 tspn
  • Garlic chopped : 4 cloves
  • Mustard : 1/4 tspn
  • Fenugreek seeds / Uluva : A pinch
  • Chilly powder : 1 tblspn
  • Turmeric powder : 1/4 tspn
  • Asafoetida / Kayam : A pinch
  • Sugar : 1 tspn
  • Vinegar : 5 tblspn
  • Oil : 2 tblspn
  • Curry leaves 
  • Salt

Method :


  • Remove the seeds from the dates and chop it in to small pieces.Set aside.
  • Heat a pan with oil.Ad mustard and let it splutter.Add fenugreek seeds .
  • Add in chopped ginger garlic and curry leaves.Saute it well and add chilly powder turmeric powder and asafoetida powder.Mix it well
  • Now add vinegar and salt mix it again.
  • Add in chopped dates and sugar. mix it well.Cover the pan and let it cook in low flame.
  • When the pickle get dried switch off the flame and lt it cool.

Dates pickle

7 comments:

  1. This seems like a great way to use/cook dates. Thank for the recipe!

    Sonia - Inglourious Bananas

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting recipe. Looks tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice recipe...looks so chatpata and yuumy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks Sweet, tangy and yummy of course... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. recipe is quite interesting...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...