Upma is an easiest breakfast dish for me.Even with sugar we can finish it fastly.I love to have it with banana and little sugar.Even with chutney or sambar you can take it :)
We can prepare upma in different way.Some used to add loads of veggies in it .Instead of sooji we can use oats also.A combo of oats and rava will give you a super tasty upma.Hope I will post it soon.I love non sticky upma .but some people prefer sticky one.If you love sticky upma try to add more water than I mentioned in my recipe.
I have selected sooji from the bag and started preparing upma with over confidence.It was my first trial and as you imagine everything ended up with a disaster :( Actual problem was I added more water and got a cake shaped upma and we cut in to pieces and somehow finished it:)That day I realised myself that Mr.Sean can suffer anything in this life :P
After that whenever Im going to take any trial he used to say the dialogue "If you are not confident make a call to Amma ..hehehe..
Anyway after that incident I mastered in upma preparation and now Im confident too..
- Rava / sooji : 2 cups
- Water : 2 cups - 2 &1/4cups(depends on rava)
- Coconut grated : 1/2 cup
To temper :
- Onion chopped : 1 small
- Mustard : 1/2 tspn
- Urad dal / Black gram : 1/2 tspn
- Dry red chilly : 2
- Chopped ginger : 1tspn
- Chopped green chilly : 1
- Curry leaves : 1spring
- Oil : 2-4 tblspn
- Heat a pan and roast rava by adding few drops of oil.(Addition of oil while frying rava will help you to get non sticky upma).Keep the flame in medium level roast it for 5-8 minutes until you get a nice aroma.Stir it continuously
- Switch off the flame and now transfere the roasted rava in to a plate.
- Heat the same pan with oil.Add in mustard and let it splutter.Now add in urad dal ,dry red chilly ,chopped ginger,onion ,and green chilly,curry leaves
- Saute it well.Add in salt.
- Now add in water and chek for salt.
- Close the pan and let it boil.
- Once the water starts to boil add in roasted rava carefully(little by little) and mix it gently.Add in rava using one hand and mix at the same time with your another hand.If you are not expert don't worry first you add rava then mix it well.
- Keep your stove in low flame now.
- Mixing is super important dont allow to get lumps..if happen so break it with spatula.Keep stirring.
- Now close the pan for few minutes.(2,3 minutes in low flame)
- Open the pan stirr it well until you get soft fluffy upma
- Finally add in grated coconut and mix it again.
- Now soft fluffy upma is ready to serve .
- You may serve it with banana or simply with sugar.If you love curry use any gravies of your choice