Puttu is the iconic breakfast dish of Kerala.Puttu with kadala curry is considered as one of the healthy breakfast dishes.
You can take this kadala curry with puttu appam or idiappam
- Chiickpeas / kadala : 1 cup
- Onion (chopped ) : 1 big
- Ginger (crushed ) :1/2 " piece
- Garlic (crushed ) : 4 cloves
- Green chillies :2
- Turmeric powder : 1/4 tspn
- Chilly powder : 1 tspn
- Coriander powder : 1 tblspn
- Garam masla powder : 1 tspn
To temper :
- Mustard seeds /kaduku : 1/2 tspn
- Fennel / perum jeerakam : 1/2 tspn
- Sliced coconut pieces : 2 tblspn
- Curry leaves : 2 springs
- Coconut oil
- Soak kadala over night and cook it with salt and turmeric powder till it turn soft(If you are using pressure cooker Keep the flame in simmer mode after the first whistle and cook it for 20 minutes)
- Don't forget to add enough water.
- Keep the cooked kadala aside with water.
- Heat a pan with oil and add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Now add fennel and wait for few seconds.
- Add curry leaves and sliced cocout pieces.
- Now add chopped onion and green chillies.
- Sauté it well till the onion turn light golden colour.
- Add crushed ginger and garlic.Wait until it leaves the raw smell.
- Now add chilly powder,coriander powder and garam masala powder.Mix it well.
- Now add cooked kadala to it together with the cooked water.
- Check for salt if neede add little salt .
- Keep the stove in simmer mode and close the pan with its lid.
- When the curry reaches the right consisitency switch off the stove and serve the kadala curry with puttu or appam
sending this recipe to Tanya's event