Yes it is the season for jack fruits..When my friend came from native, packed a small tender jack fruit for me ..She knows my craving towards such things :)
During our childhood amma uused to make thorans with whatever materials available in our courtyard.Drumstick leaves thoran banan stem thoran , banana flower thoran etc She used to prepare often.I love all those things.
I have prepared thoran with it and enjoyed the lunch together with fish fry and moru kachiyathu :)
- Idinchakka / tender jack fruit(choppeed) : 1 small / (After chopping 2cups)
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tspn
To grind :
- Grated coconut : 1/2 cup
- Shallots / cheriya ulli : 3-4
- Garlic : 3 cloves
- Green chilly : 3
- Cumin seed / jeerakam : 1/4 tspn
To temper :
- Mustard : 1/2 tspn
- Black gram / uzhunnu : 1/2 tspn
- Dry red chilly : 2
- Curry leaves : few
- Cut the jack fruit , remove the spiny rind ,wash and chop it in to small pieces.
- Heat a pan with oil.Add mustard and let it splutter.Add black gram red chilly and curry leaves.
- Add chopped idinchakka/ jack fruit .
- Add in turmeric powder and salt.
- Add in 1/4 cup of water.
- Mix it well and cook it in low flame by closing the pan with lid .
- Grind all the ingredients listed under to grind.
- Add it to the cooked jack fruit and mix it well.
- Keep it in low flame and stir occasionally for five minutes.
- Delicious idinchakka thoran is ready to serve!!!!!!