Idly is a popular south indian breakfast serves along with chutney and sambar . It is considered as one o the healthiest breakfast items and off course traditional too.Preparation of idly batter is easy . Urad dal and rice in right combo will give soft spongy white idlys.
I used to prepare oats idly and my hubby loves to take it it with hotel style sambar
I asked my hubby to buy a packet of sooji / semolina to prpeare upma.I love sooji upma and both my hubby and his sis used to tease me saying about it.Whole day if you are serving me upma i will eat and enjoy the same :)Instead of sooji by mistake he bought one packet of rice rava and it wa in my kitchen counter for last one month.I was clueless about its use and never tried anything with rice rava.
When I shared this story to Divya she told me that the same thing happened in her home also and she mixed the soaked rava with normal dosa batter to fnish the same :).So I started searching recipe and tried it.I took recipe and tried it for the first time.
The result was awsome..and I got nearly 20 idlys and 5 paper thin ghee roasts.When I sent pics to my bestie she asked me the secret of my super white idly..:)We enjoyed the idlys with sambar,mint chutney and coconut chutney
Serving size :4-5 person
- Rice rava : 2 cups
- Urad da / uzhunnu : 1/2 cup
- Aval/Poha :3 tblspn
- Fenugreek seeds / Uluva : 1/4 tspn
- Wash and soak urad dal in a container together with aval / poha and fenugreek seeds.
- Rinse and clean the rice rawa in water for 3,4 times.Now soak it in water.
- Let the rice rava and urad dal in water for 4,5 hours .
- Now drain the dal poha and fenugreek seeds and grind it in a grinder or mixer.(I used my food processor to grind )Grind it in to a smooth batter by adding enough water.be careful while adding water.You may add cooked rice instead of poha / aval.I used 1/4 cup of cooked rice.
- Pour the batter in to a deep vessel and set aside.
- Now drain the rice rava and squeeze it with your hand and add it the grinding jar.
- Grind it by adding little watr. But you wont get smooth batter . Dont worry..This grinding step is optional if love to add rice rava as such , add it like that.No problem.But I added ground batter of rice rava over the urad dal batter.
- Mix it well.
- Cover the vessel and keep it in a warm place to ferment.It will take nearly 6-8 hours depends on the climatic conditions
- After 8 hours mix the batter again by adding salt.Now you feel that the volume of the batter doubled:)
- Grease the idly mould with oil andd pour one laddle of batter on it.Keep ti over the steamer and wait for 7-10minutes.
- After 10 minutes insert a tooth pick on idly and if the tooth pick comes out clean your idly is ready!if not keep it on fore for more time.
- Let the mould cool down by sprinkling little water and remove the idlys from the mould by using a spoon and enjoy it with the side dishes of your choice!